We take on apprentices for the summer and winter seasons.
For winter the position begins in October and lasts until mid-April. Excellent opportunities to learn/improve your winter skills and learn how to train, care for, and travel by dog team.
For spring/summer the position can begin anytime from late April through early October. Excellent opportunities to help on canoe trips, camping/baking on an open fire, maintenance or building of wood canvas canoes, making a wooden paddle for yourself, caring for sled dogs in the off season of dogsledding.
Help with all aspects of operating a small but very busy winter guiding service:
– Daily dog care, feeding and maintenance chores
– Assist with training of dog teams
– Assist with guiding on trips
– Equipment repair, cleaning and maintenance
– Trail clearing work
– Setting up and maintaining 4-5 traditional winter camps (canvas wall tents, woodstoves, bough floors, etc.)
– Pack and unpack food before and after trips
– Meal prep & cleaning of lodge & farmhouse B & B
– One day off per week
– Winter camping experience helpful
– Strong work ethic, must be responsible & dependable
– Some experience trip leading helpful
– Room and partial board
– Small weekly stipend
– Winter Guide Training
Summer guide apprenticeship:
We also have summer apprenticeships available for individuals who are interested in our canoe trips and learning to paddle, pole and guide a traditional style canoe trip. We make our own wood canvas canoes, paddles and setting poles. You would also learn to take care of sled dogs in the summer months.
To apply for any apprenticeships call Polly or Kevin at: 207.824.2073 or email: firstname.lastname@example.org